Ok…well most of you that know me are aware of the fact that I am a die hard metal fan. However, this does not mean that I do not enjoy other music…but just that metal is my favorite style. I really do not have a favorite style as some of my favorites fit the thrash category and some of them fit the glam category while some are in the Hard Rock genre. All of us have different tastes in music and these likes and dislikes are influenced by how these different types of music impacted us during our younger years. The following list is my Top 20 Bands not necessarily in any order…starting with my all time favorite:
1) Megadeth- Dave Mustaine has been an inspiration in my life both musically and personally. Dave has spent his entire life struggling with addiction and has battled this fight like a warrior. His story gave me hope to overcome my addictions. Megadeth has very deep lyrics, for which I am a huge fan, and most if their topics include politics, foreign and domestic war and violence, Broken Relationships, Addiction, and Mental Illness all of which I can truly relate.
2) Iron Maiden- I was always obsessed with Iron Maiden since I was a young teenage boy. Maiden not only kicks ass musically, but they are also mystical. Bruce Dickinson is one of the top vocalists of all time and they are tremendous to hear live. Their Concept album Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is one of my favorite albums. I also enjoy Fear of the Dark and Number of the Beast. Their new material is just as heavy and theatrical. The Final Frontier was their latest studio album.
3) Guns N Roses- GNR will always be at the top of my music list. It’s A shame that they disbanded and that Axl and Slash cannot mend their fences. Guns in their prime (Appetite For Destruction) was one of the greatest Metal bands to ever play…no matter how short lived. Slash was a beast on Guitar while Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, and Steven Adler provided the perfect rhythm and percussion sound to compliment Slash. Axl Rose had one of those unique voices and not many vocalists could hit the ranges that he did. Appetite For Destruction ranks in my Top 5 albums of all time along with AC/DC’s Back in Black.
4) Def Leppard- Def Leppard will always be at the top of my all time list. Def Leppard was one of the top Metal Bands to come out of the British New Wave of Heavy Metal and their songs rocked as well as hit a core with fans. My very first Leppard record was High and Dry. I can remember when I heard the tune Another Hit and Run…that song was so tight. And then when their drummer lost his arm in a vehicle accident…just when the world thought Def Leppard would fold, they threw everyone thru a loop by releasing their best album ever Hysteria.
5) Black Sabbath (Ozzy/Dio)- I include both versions of Black Sabbath as one as they were always one of my favs growing up. My first two Sabbath albums were Paranoid and Master of Reality. My third was Heaven and Hell and my fourth was the Mon Rules. I will always rank Dio’s time with the band as better than his solo career. Ozzy will always be the Stone that stirred the drink for Sabbath.
6) Metallica- Metallica is one of those bands that changed my musical interests forever. I can remember listening to my first Metallic album…Master of Puppets. This album was so heavy and fast and really could get your juices flowing on a warm summer night. I will always be partial to And Justice For All which has always been my favorite Metallica album.
7) Mötley Crüe- Mötley Crüe is just what the name says…a Mötley crew. This band always pushed the envelope and I must say I truly became a fan forever after the release of Dr Feelgood. Mötley Crüe is a glam band that plays more in the heavy side. Most of their songs were about partying and such and all of their music has that fast pace sound even their ballads. When I think of Mötley Crüe I think of Dr Feelgood, Without You, Girl Don’t Go Away Mad, Same Ol Situation…and the list goes on and on.
8) Anthrax- I cannot have a Top 20 List without including Anthrax. Anthrax was always one of my favorite bands because they played thrash but they also had a sense of humor to their music and performances. Believe it or not…the very first Anthrax song I became a huge fan of was actually a cover song…Antisocial. My favorite Anthrax song is Indians. Their new album Worship Music may be one of their all time bests as they can still ROCK!
9) Judas Priest- Rob Halford has always been an intimidating figure for me. Breaking the Law was my first Priest song off the album British Steel. I became absolutely mesmerized by their sound. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton are the perfect compliments for each other. Judas Priest Sad Wings of Destiny was my first song that really made me a metal fanatic.
10) Ozzy Osbourne- No More Tears was my first Ozzy solo album. After I bought this album I purchased every studio album Ozzy ever made. He is that good…even in his older years.
11) AC/DC- Back in Black was one of the very first CDs I purchased. The moment I put the tape in my tape player I was hooked. Angus Young was a phenomenal guitar master and Brian Johnson’s vocals struck a chord with my musical style. AC/DC may be one of the most underrated metal bands of all time.
12) Bon Jovi- Bon Jovi has always had a hold on me…just like a prison you can’t break free. Ooh…your love is gone…ooh there’s no where to run…no one can save me the damage is done…SHOT TO THE HEART…Wanted Dead or Alive was actually the first song I heard and as soon as I heard it I went and purchased Slippery When Wet. Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are my two favorite Bon Jovi albums.
13) Poison- Poison was always at the top of my list. I own every Poison studio album and the song Every Rose has Its Thorn was the ballad that really got me into them. Poison was on the lighter side but they always made me feel good when listening to them.
14) Warrant- Warrant was another awesome glam metal band that did not have the longevity if some of these other bands. Jani Lane, the lead vocalist, passed away last year from alcoholism. Warrant will never be forgotten though. With their album Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich and Cherry Pie…they took the scene by storm and kicked major ass while they were in their prime.
15) Skid Row- Need I say more…another New Jersey talent to rise up and be around for a long time. Sebastian Bach may have the best vocal range of all time right up there with all the other all time greats.
16) Led Zeppelin- Zeppelin will always be in my top mood. They really brought me back to my childhood. I think Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were amazing and I have to try to read this over.
17) Slayer- Slayer has truly grown on me as I have gotten older. I recently completed my collection of their entire studio catalog. I have all of their CDs and even saw them live twice now. World Painted Blood is their most recent album and goes back to the Reign in Blood sound. Slayer is a great band to listen to when u are driving.
18) Pantera- Pantera may be a lot higher on my list if Dime Bag Darrel was not shot and the band was forced to disband. Pantera is a true Giant and I can only hope that these talks of a reunion with Zack Wylde on guitar have me completely psyched out of my mind. Pantera will always be in my list of Bands to listen to while driving.
19) Overkill- Overkill is another Jersey band that I just recently became hooked on. They have been around longer than Metallica and they truly play to the core. Once again, I just recently became a huge fan so they could sky rocket on my list.
20) Testament- Another late bloomer but I feel that they would have been higher must they have been a part of my daily listening log.
These are my Top 20 Bands….Just for fun…what are yours??